Fun Facts About Ragweed
If You Are Suffering From Seasonal Allergies, Do Not Hesitate to Call the Allergy & Asthma Center Today. Our Allergy Doctors & Experienced Staff Are Ready to Help You. We Have 3 Convenient Locations Near You in Atlanta, Lawrenceville & Conyers GA!
- Each ragweed plant can produce over a billion grains of pollen which can travel up to 400 miles in the air!
- Some people with ragweed allergy develop a type of food allergy which causes mouth itching with fresh banana, melons, sunflower seeds, honey and some other fruits and vegetables.
- Common ragweed was used as a source of food for Native Americans prior to the use of maize. They would also use the stalks to manufacture rope!
- 75% of people that are allergic to pollen are allergic to ragweed.
- Ragweed heights range from a few inches to more than 12 feet. Giant ragweed grows from 12 to 18 feet tall in moist soils.
- Animals which eat ragweed seeds include: Meadow Vole, Dark-eyed Junco,
Brown-headed Cowbird, Northern Bobwhite, Purple Finch, Mourning Dove, American Goldfinch, and the Red-bellied Woodpecker.